Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ending week 2 at Ft. Benning


Hello again on a Wed night. Just 2 more days of training until week 2 is complete. This week was pretty good. We started out with a 3 am formation on Monday where we left to the big expanse of GA woods for land navigation testing/course.


In this course we are given a map protractor, compass and 8 grid coordinates to find. It's not just going out with a compass and finding a spot. These "grid coordinates" are given to us in 8 numbered digits. We plot them on our given maps and use the map compass to figure out how many degrees on the compass they are from our starting point and how far they are. Then we are sent out ot find them. We are given 5 hours to return and find at least 5 points before time runs out or you get lost. Not a big deal huh? Yeah try trudging off into a pitch black GA woods where you can't see but a few feet in front of you and are only trusting your skills. A daunting task in the day, and even harder in the night. My first point was 1400meters away, over hills and dales and creeks. Well, it didn't go to well for me as I missed my point. These points are merely a tall metal post with an orange and white sign on it that has a number. There are 99 of these out in the woods and there's no way of checking to see if the one you end up at is your correct point. Or...in some cases, if you're off on your compass heading by a few degrees (very easy to do), you may be next to a different marker or where there's not one at all. The latter happened to me and I decided to give up on it and head into the darkness towards where I thought there should be a road or trail. I eventually found it but lost about an hour and change doing so. This left me minimal time to get my other points. I was able to utilize the road and trails to find other points and minimize my bushwacking.


So in GA it's like 90-100 percent humidity in the early morning and late, late nights. I've never sweated or been so wet in my life then when I was bushwacking that morning trying to find my points. We finished up just before 10 am and I was beat to death and completely drenched in sweat and humidity. To make matters worse I sprained my ankle and felt lucky to even have made it out alive. Of course I passed. getting 6 of the 6 points I found correct. I'm glad that's over with.


That was Monday. On Tuesday we began combatives (grappling and jui-jitsu based wrestling on the ground). Unlucky for us we have to do it in our ACU uniforms in the hot and humid weather. Yes outside on the pt field. More suck but at least it was fun suck.


We also started a combat life savers course wherein we'll become certified by the final test on Friday. Most of this is practical where we have to learn and be able to apply various bandages and torniquest and treat injuries on the battle field. This includes sticking IV's and treating collapsed lungs (tension pneumothorax and sucking chest wounds).


Today being Wed, we also completed our first ruck march. We did 5 miles as a platoon. My rucksack was packed with 37 lbs of gear. Then I strapped on a camel back to it that weighed about 5 lbs. Then we have our load bearing vests with additional canteens and gear. So I would say 50+ lbs of crap by the time I'm on the road. It went well. Not blisters but my back is sore and my feet hurt. Same old, same old.


I think Thursday and Friday will be more combat life savers class as well as me teaching a class on basic M-4 safety and breakdown. You see we all have to teach a class on a subject as well as serve in some leadership role. Right now I'm 4th squads "Bravo" team leader. Basically just babysitting and making sure my guys/girl are there and know what we're doing...etc.


That's all for now. Will try to update more. Perhaps next week when we start m4 qualifications and practice I'll have more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds liek a blast! :p

miss niecie said...

i got out of breath reading that.