now, I didn't live on Ft. Hood when we were in the military. We were stationed at Ft. Sam Houston - not far from Ft. Hood - but we lived off post in San Antonio. I guess I can't expect everyone to understand how significant it is to me that a shooting happened on a military base by one of our own - but for me... it's on a different level than someone going to work and "going postal."
I still remember when the man opened fire at a restaurant in Kilene, TX and how horrible that was, and to be honest, no one really wins the "this experience sucked, but this one was waaaay worse and deserves all of the sympapthy" Olympics. Tragedy is tragedy. My concern is how do we stop it from happening?
In the civilian world, you don't really have those kinds of controls. In the MILITARY world, however... you do - or at least, we're supposed to have those kinds of controls to weed out crazy people, particularly people in positions of power, like psychiatry.
This is a tough post to write because it's hard for folks to wrap their brains around what this man's attack really and truly could mean.
The fact that he is Muslim is not what makes this bad or worrisome for other Muslims. Yes, most Americans with brains in their heads are smart enough to say "hey - he doesn't represent all Muslims. He's just an idiot." However, what if what he DOES represent are terrorists?
What's a terrorist? According to U.S. Code Title 22, Ch.38, Para. 2656f(d):
(2) the term “terrorism” means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents;
So let's compare apples to apples:
1. Was his attack premeditated? Yes
2. Was it politically motivated? Let's say 50/50 - I'd really say 90/10, but folks will say "the stress of having to be deployed just sent him over the edge" to which I'd counter "but he was stressed about a war that he disagrees with - which, to me and most other folks, is political."
3. Was it perpetrated against noncombatant targets? Yes.
So.... does he fit the definition of a terrorist? And do his actions fall in line with what terrorists have done?
If he, in fact, yelled "Allahu Akbar" prior to opening fire - I think we've got a problem.
"Allahu Akbar" itself, is not a problem. It means "God is Great." And He is great and he should be praised.
So, because he's Muslim and he yelled Allahu Akbar, does not mean that Americans should think all Muslims are bad. He could have been at a soup line feeding the homeless and so overjoyed about the good he felt from doing service, that he said "Allahu Akbar" to a friend or colleague. That's appropriate.
Yelling it prior to opening fire on innocent people is something that falls in line with most suicide bombers and other attacks.
But LaShawn, he wasn't on a suicide mission.
Are you sure?
One of the classic signs of preparing for suicide is giving away belongings... and call me a conspiracy theorist if you want... Hasan gave away belongings prior to the shooting spree.
Oh that's just a coincidence.
Really? What about the fact that he allegedly bought an apartment and lived there by instead of paying month to month, he paid for 6 months in advance and as of the shooting, was in the apartment for 6 months?
And then there's that whole "islamic terrorist websites praising what he did as jihad" thing too.
But right... it could ALLLLL be a coincidence and the man isn't a terrorist. He's just mentally ill. (since when do the two have to be mutually exclusive?)
I'm not trying to stir up fear or hate or anything. But I'd like for us to get real about what could be happening.
According to the definition - he committed a terrorist act. And his act is no more representative of Islam than that loon who opened fire at the church and killed a doctor who performed abortions, or the man who opened fire at the Holocaust museum is any more representative of Christianity... but ALL are terrorist acts. And nobody called that man a terrorist either. He should have been called a terrorist, in the same way that the KKK is a terrorist group in America. Premeditated acts (cross burnings and murders) that are politically related (the the status of Catholics, Jews, Non-whites, and gays in America) against unarmed combatants.
Premeditated.... politically related.... against unarmed combatants.
Folks want to pretend that political correctness only applies to people of color. It doesn't. It applies to areas of comfort. If we call people for how their behaviors fit a definition, it makes us uncomfortable. But maybe that's what we need in order to really see some change in America. Be it terrorists or racists.
And my concern with this latest attack (or "incident" to be more politically correct) is if our military bases have been infiltrated by terrorists - these folks are more organized than we give them credit. Now, the President has said "don't jump to conclusions" and he should say that - he's the President, he can't give cart blanche to mob violence against Muslims because of one man who is a terrorist that practices Islam.
The important piece is going to be what the President does, with the assistance of his security team, to seriously investigate and make sure that Hasan was one isolated incident and not an indication of an unfolding plot.
In theory, any of our Muslim friends have no need to worry. If they are not planning terrorist acts or agreeing or supporting them, they are not lumped into a group where Hasan's actions represent the entire Muslim community.
In truth & reality however, this is easier said than done, unfortunately. It's the same kind of fear that grips many social minority groups when a member of their group makes negative news. The way my gay friends feel when gays are violently protesting a marriage ban. The fear they feel when one of their own is brutally beaten and the cops brush it under the rug.
The way black folks worried after OJ. Or defend Michael Jackson in his grave against allegations.
The way Hispanics and Latinos may cringe when they hear the word "illegals."
The question is always, "was it one of us?" because you know that, unfortunately, in America - those who aren't in that "us" category will be quick to lump everyone into the outcast group that's "cool" to hate for the moment.
I'm going to try my best not to let my fears color my conversations or my interactions with others. I will, instead, look for opportunities to try and understand someone else and come to a common ground of universal respect and connection.
I don't agree with war, period. But I know its inevitable because people disagree and their pride causes them to lash out instead of respond with love to their enemies. However, I have loved ones in my extended and immediate families that are put in harm's way to try and maintain safety from terrorism in America. So I pray that we can reach a victory of empowering the Afghan and Iraqi people and end the war. And as much as I disagree with war. There is no way a bone, thought, or feeling in my body would ever say that Hasan was justified in what he did because he was against the war too.
Michael recently said that we probably can't defeat terrorism... we can only contain it, and I think he's right. I hope that we can do so before international terrorism reaches our soil. I can't say we've done the best job totally defeating domestic terrorism just yet... but that's the blueprint we may have to use.
1 comment:
Okay, so I didn't read this whole, long blog yet. But, I wanted to tell you that I spoke with Rebekah (my sister) she is stationed in Killeen, on base, as an Army nurse. She said that is was such a scary experience. The base went into code gray lock down. Every car was searched, all cell phone communications were shut down, and as the hospital began to admit people for treatment, the shooter was admitted into the hospital. She said it was crazy, because under those types of circumstances generally one of two things happen, the shooter commits suicide or is killed. He is alive, and was transported elsewhere today (I think). Anyway, it was very scary and I have a lot more to say on the subject, but four kids are calling me.
Post a Comment