Thursday, April 15, 2010

coming up for air

phew! what a whirlwind of 6 weeks (tomorrow).

The learning curve for motherhood of 2 under 3 is a STEEP one. I actually feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it now.

Little Ms. Diva was great her first week home. I think she was just surveying the area and planning her long term strategy because after that first week where I was all proud of myself for getting both of them down for naps at the same time - she began her "I am Nobi, hear me roar." campaign which involved merciless crying as if we were pulling her fingernails off with a set of pliers if she wasn't held constantly.

*** all of the above was started on Thursday and interrupted by who knows what, only to be continued today, Sunday - almost Monday ***

So, now that I'm still too tired to write anything at length, let it just suffice to say: motherhood is phenomenal. I love both my 2 year old and my 6 week old. My 2 year old loves to sing and dance... all of the time. He sings with his Backyardigans dvds and all of the previews on his Nick Jr & Baby Einstein dvds. He loves "Ni Hao, Kai Lan" and says "Ni Hao!!" (while waving) to any and everyone. He repeats phrases from Backyardigans "Hellooooo mateys! My name's Tyrone, but you can call me.... SINBAD!" and every little moment with him just melts my heart.

My 6 week old SMILES more. She's been doing it since four weeks (along with flipping from tummy to back) but this time it's getting more and more purposeful. She loves to snuggle on me and fall asleep. I seriously couldn't be happier with the blessings these little ones bring to my life.

I'm learning to take deep breaths after the potentially uncomfortable things and remind myself that the majority of people don't wake up intending to complete their days by offending me or hurting my feelings. So when the lady assumed that Becton was lost while he was playing with her little girl's toy in her cart, even though I was 5 feet away from him, I realized that it made sense for her to think he was lost... I probably wouldn't associate him with me as his mom either. I know he knows that I'm his mommy, though, and that's all that matters.

We head to Primary Children's hospital this week for Naiobi's appointment. She has some fluid retention/kidney swelling and needs to have some testing done. It's been there since she was in the womb, so this is the appropriate course of action now that she's out of the womb.

She also tested positive as a Hemogloblin Trait C carrier which puts her future offspring at risk for sickle cell if she marries another carrier. I'm glad we named her Phoenix because if there are going to be trials in her life, especially if they start at this age, it is good to have the strength of the Phoenix legend to refer to for perspective.

Thankfully, our trials are small and conquerable at the moment. Here's to continued happy days in our little family.

3 comments:

Linda said...

People in a restaurant assumed that Tammy was Summer's mom when we were all together when Summer was small. People are just that way :)

LaShawn said...

i agree with you, Tia! I remember being so confused at first when she said she thought he was lost. It took me a minute to understand why she couldn't figure out that I was his mom! To me, it was like DUH, i'm right here. :)

Jette said...

I'm glad you're so happy with your little family :)