Sunday, July 4, 2010

family & holidays

i think one of the adjustments-to-marriage has alot to do with figuring out where to spend holidays: large and small. my guess is by your almost-fourth-year, you've established a decent rhythm. at least Michael and I have.

4th of July finds us up with family in Logan after spending time with family in Lehi last night to celebrate my mom's birthday. She's 25 (again).

Uncle Eli's house is possibly my most favorite backyard to visit in Logan. It's how I envision our backyard - once we build on our land. Becton goes out there and runs around with Shadow (the dog) and they both chase bubbles from the bubble machine. Me and Nobi can sit outside as well and enjoy the beautiful summer weather. It's a perfect setting for a perfect day.

While we did that, Mike, Eli & the cousins went floating down a river up near Idaho. I stayed home with the kiddos, got them down for a dual nap and enjoyed about 4 hours of bliss. 3 of those hours included dissertation proposal revisions, where i had a spark of genius and productivity and felt SO accomplished by the time the kids woke up and Mike and fam got home from tubing.

It was looking so promising, what with appropriate waking time for both kids and healthy naps this afternoon. But alas, Becton is off schedule again. It's 1 am and he's still awake... watching "the great numbers game" while I put together my survey tool for my dissertation data collection. I'm hoping he'll go to sleep soon. Naiobi, thankfully, is knocked out - amidst the "Numbers game" accompanied by Becton's memorized narration. She is her mother's child.

Today's funny events were:
1. Becton's anti-nap tactics (I will edit this later and add the video)
2. Becton's obedience to my "it's almost bathtime, boogs!" reminder. I yelled my reminder to him downstairs (with the rest of the "guys" for UFC fight night) as I ran outside to grab our bag with clothes, diapers and toiletries in it. I came back into the house to find Becton waiting for me in the bathroom. In the bathtub. Fully dressed.

So I just chuckled, tried to get some video or at least a picture of him soaking wet in his clothes (he got out of the tub by that time) and threw his clothes into the dryer and continued with our bathtime routine as much as possible.

He's been fighting night night time for about 3 hours now. But he's fading fast. As am I, but I've got a bit of a ways to go before I can turn in for the evening.

I hope we'll be able to find some fireworks to go see for the Independence Celebration. Michael and I spent some time today remembering where and how we've spent previous 4th of July celebrations. Sometimes I smile remembering that I've only known Michael for almost 7 years and we've been married for almost 4 of them, yet on some days, it feels like we've known each other much longer.

No comments: