

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I've written on here, or even since my wife has written on here. I sometimes wonder if this blog is more for our sake than anyone else's reading entertainment. I know I don't make it a habit to read other family members' blogs, so why would they take the time to read mine? Who knows, maybe they have enough time in their day to surf the net. Fortunately for me I don't. I'm too busy being a ranger, a daddy, cleaning up the house, taking care of cars and trying to rebuild my motorcycles.
For posteritie's sake, and in hoping that one day these posts will be accesible to us when we're older and even our kids, I'm going to at least try to post something on here for them/us at least once a month.
Way, way back in October- of 2008 (haha) I graduated the police academy here in Utah in preparation for my jobs as a state park ranger. I was honored to be chosen by my classmates to give an address to the graduating class and those in attendance. On most occasions when asked to speak I rarely write anything down, simply speaking from the heart. This time I did take a few weeks before graduationg to jot an outline down and as luck would have it I even saved it. There were many accolades and congratulations from those who enjoyed my words I figured that might be posting it where later down the line it can be re-read. So for your enjoyment and my posterity (and because I'm too lazy to type a real blog) I give you the draft of my police academy graduation speech.
I dedicate this to all the men and women in law enforcement around the country who are putting themselves between you all and those who commit crimes and whoredoms everyday. Take a moment today and thank a law enforcement officer. Then take a few minutes and think about the picturesque town or community you live in, how nice it is, how little crime. Even so, would you want to live there even one day if there weren't men and women in law enforcement patrolling and doing the dirty work you really never see or hear about? I wouldn't.
WELCOME: Distinguished guests, staff, family and friends.
16 weeks ago 40 of your starry-eyed fellow civilians walked through the doors of POST academy on a path towards a new career. Perhaps some were uncertain of what the academy would bring and not fully aware of how they would grow.
The 35 officers seated behind me are the result of 100’s of hours worth of classroom training, scenarios and internal dedicated drive to do more for their communities. They have been shot-at, twist-locked, hand-cuffed, thrown to the ground, been given beat downs by DT instructors (though it could be argued otherwise!). All this for a greater calling. I don’t have to tell you all that a police officer’s salary doesn’t draw them to do this.
WHO ARE THEY? They are welders, construction workers, soldiers, landscape workers, BMX racers and cowboys. These men and women are no longer solely civilians hoping others will make our society a better place to live. They are now part of the first proactive line of defense we know as peace officers. I would go so far as to call them modern day superheroes. In my eyes that’s exactly who and what they are.
I’ve seen them grow and learn, absorbing and applying information at constant rate. They have pledged to put themselves on the line in defense of your lives and property. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the essence of intrinsic motivation. Your families are in good hands given the 35new officers about to hit the streets.
TO YOU NEW OFFICERS: I say to you, remember who you are… what you stand for. You now The public trust and constitutional rights are now under your protection.
In closing, I’d like to share with you some infinite knowledge given to me by a good friend named Peter Parker-and I quote “WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY”.
You have that power now. Use it for the greater good, welfare and protection of those who look up to you as peace officers and modern day superheroes.
16 weeks ago 40 of your starry-eyed fellow civilians walked through the doors of POST academy on a path towards a new career. Perhaps some were uncertain of what the academy would bring and not fully aware of how they would grow.
The 35 officers seated behind me are the result of 100’s of hours worth of classroom training, scenarios and internal dedicated drive to do more for their communities. They have been shot-at, twist-locked, hand-cuffed, thrown to the ground, been given beat downs by DT instructors (though it could be argued otherwise!). All this for a greater calling. I don’t have to tell you all that a police officer’s salary doesn’t draw them to do this.
WHO ARE THEY? They are welders, construction workers, soldiers, landscape workers, BMX racers and cowboys. These men and women are no longer solely civilians hoping others will make our society a better place to live. They are now part of the first proactive line of defense we know as peace officers. I would go so far as to call them modern day superheroes. In my eyes that’s exactly who and what they are.
I’ve seen them grow and learn, absorbing and applying information at constant rate. They have pledged to put themselves on the line in defense of your lives and property. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the essence of intrinsic motivation. Your families are in good hands given the 35new officers about to hit the streets.
TO YOU NEW OFFICERS: I say to you, remember who you are… what you stand for. You now The public trust and constitutional rights are now under your protection.
In closing, I’d like to share with you some infinite knowledge given to me by a good friend named Peter Parker-and I quote “WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY”.
You have that power now. Use it for the greater good, welfare and protection of those who look up to you as peace officers and modern day superheroes.
3 comments:
Well, I do check in from time to time. Thanks for sharing!
I read your blog. By the way you can have this blog (pictures and posts) bound into a book for like 30 bucks.
Punky! I linked your blog to mine and read it at least every other day cause this is my way of staying connected to you. Keep it up:)
Post a Comment