Saturday, April 2, 2011

personality differences

i'm guessing this happens with every parent where you notice the differences in your kids pretty early. sometimes from the womb. in watching my 3yo and 1yo play today, and just thinking about their differences in general, I hope that I do all I can to encourage who they are. Things I've noticed about 3yo:

  • He is a mellow little boy.

  • Very sweet personality.

  • Not one to get stressed out too easily.

  • He loves music and singing and dancing.

  • He likes reading books and watching movies - not for the sake of the activity itself, but for what he can learn/repeat from them and interact with them. Simple things like, when he's watching a show about "shape detectives" - we all become "detectives" too. 3yo "Hey, Detective Mommy? Do you wanna help me find the square?" and I say, sure, detective 3yo. I will help! I like that he inserts us into his world.

  • He's a sensitive little boy.


What I've noticed about 1yo:



  • She picks up on things and people around her easily. She imitates 3yo's dance moves. She learns things (that she likes) easily - like Spanish.

  • She came out of the womb with assertiveness training and diva behaviors.

  • She likes taking things apart and putting them together.

  • She has no interest in dvds for the sake of learning. She seems to prefer hands on activities and imitation.

  • She is a happy and energetic little girl.

  • She likes adventure (flipping over, hanging upside down)

  • She also likes eating her toes

  • She is very tactile. There must always be a binky and a blankey or baby nearby in order for her to relax or sleep.

  • She does things to see what the reaction will be from 3yo - and she watches me while she's annoying him, like, "check this out mom, can you believe it?"

  • She lovs music and dancing as well. She was shaking her little booty once she was sitting up at 4months.

I have to say, i'm excited to see who my children will become. I would like to believe that I'm raising them in a world that will be even better than the one i was raised in - overall. I think in some ways it will be. In other ways, I wonder. And yet others, I worry. I tell myself that if I can at least keep my home consistent and safe for them to be exactly who they are.... ask questions... explore... learn... grow... and be authentic, honest, congruent people.

2 comments:

eclaires said...

LaShawn, you are a fabulous mama. Really. I love what you wrote about creating a consistent and safe environment for them to be exactly who they are... ask questions, explore, learn, grow, and be authentic, honest, congruent people. Open, safe, honest environment is so important. Authenticity and being comfortable in your own skin is the best thing you can instill in a child.

You're great! That's what I think. :)

Linda said...

Yah!! And they both just simply loooooove their Auntie Linda!