Thursday, October 20, 2011

Baby Daddy.


3yo: "Baby Nobi, you need to get Baby Mommy at the store and I need to get Baby Daddy."

My son sees the commercials for "Little Mommy" dolls in the morning and begs me to take him to the store so that he can be a Little Mommy too.

I've praised his desire and refocused his comments to call himself a "Little Daddy" with a baby. Of course, every commercial that he sees, now, he wants what they are advertising. The Little Mommy doll is getting extra air time in our conversations, however.

While it's cute that he calls it Baby Daddy and Baby Mommy for him and his little sister (parenting is a family affair, of course) it gives me opportunity to pause.

I'm intrigued/concerned that with all of the "advancements" we have made in our society about gender roles, stereotypes, conscious parenting, relationships, etc. Why aren't there more "Little Daddy" dolls? I would see it as a great way to teach responsibility to other human beings. I would see it as a way to help decrease the instances of fatherlessness in American communities. But I know there is a stigma attached to boys playing with dolls. And a stigma (see: self-fulfilling prophecy) for girls to play with dolls. Though, Little Mommy is more than girls just playing with dolls. It's becoming little mommies and there are examples of this push to "become"  without an equal and opposite force to create little daddies through complimentary pushes to "become."

I wonder if my letter will make it past the mail room.  I think it's a conversation worth starting at the very least. Join me, if you agree:

Mattel, Inc.
333 Continental Boulevard
El Segundo, CA 90245-5012

Fisher-Price Brands
636 Girard Avenue
East Aurora, NY 14052

No comments: