Sunday, October 23, 2011

One Reason Why I Will likely go broke this Holiday Season

Alternative Gifts International

This is a website sent by a work colleague of mine, encouraging us to consider giving Alternative Gifts this year. There are 35 categories of gifts, as cheap as $5 to feed 1 homeless person in the US or Canada for 1 day.

My heart and my head love stuff like this. So many times I can be paralyzed, wondering, what can I do to help end world suffering? I'm one person who has bills to pay like everyone else, but if there's anything I've learned, it's that money talks and money travels. To have found an organization like this that allows me to contribute domestically and internationally is awesome.

I think my little family will find an alternative gift to give this Christmas season, for in our belief system, "When ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

*edit*
i was also inspired to do this after thinking about 3yo's gratitude for the littlest of things in his life when he says his prayers. It mostly consists of thanking Heavenly Father for play time and snack time and friends at school and other significant items in his 3yo world (hot cocoa, peanut butter and jelly, his teachers at school, his friends, etc). Yesterday, he had yummy, authentic Mexican quesadillas and made sure to say "and thank you for quesadillas, too." I would like to give him an opportunity to learn that we start serving other people who live on the "earpth" with us now that he is beginning to understand sharing.

No comments: