i didn't realize that I ended on such a down note! i just ended with the last letter before switching to the next one.
sorry Marj! he stayed! he's okay! =)
i have to say, when I recevied his letter I was very worried and concerned too, with no way to reach him and give the encouragement that I could tell he needed. I wondered what happened between the Friday i talked to him and the Monday when he was ready to drop out and wrote a resignation letter.
I halfway expected him to show up at the door like he had over the summer when his knee gave out - but when a week went by and I hadn't seen him or heard anything one way or another from anyone, besides myself in prayer, I began to feel supported in my hope that he had found reason within himself to stay and to press forward with OCS.
Besides, the house was a mess and I had no time to clean it up in preparation for any "surprise, honey, i'm home from OCS" stuff from Michael!!!
Thankfully, he's stayed and continued to excel (of COURSE!)
Here's a very QUICK update - because I'm at work with limited time - and then I will finish more later tonight.
January 28th (continued)
By now you've gotten my last letter and if I haven't been able to call you since receiving it you might think I'm coming or should be coming home. I'm not and am staying and I hope OC Berta made it back to utah and called to let you know what has gone on with me.
Today was one of the lowest days of my time here. I was so physically, mentally, and emotionally broken down from all the physical and mental crap, that I actually drafted a letter of resignation and turned it in (thus my last letter you received.)
That didn't go well as the TAC and program don't want to lose a prospective LT. No sooner than I had turned in the letter to one of my PLTs Cpts, then I was pulled aside on the next break between classes and spoken to by our TAC MSG (master sergeant). He told me he can judge someone's ability to be a LT and leader and recognized such things in me. He wanted me to re-think it and I told him I would before the resignation was officially submitted. Well, I had the same 1 on 1 in the next breaks between classes with our PLTs senior TAC, a CPT and then the OCS Company Commander - CPT Napier. He actually has one of the final official says before the resignation is pushed up to Battalion Commander for final OK for an OC to be removed.
These conversations were some of the only ones I've seen these TACs be where they weren't screaming and yelloing. So needless to say it was odd to have them actually "counseling" me on the "why's" and so forth about my decision to drop. Their encouragement really worked. My spirits because lifted by having the TAC/OCS Company Commander tell me we're almost done and to stick it out. he told me we're almost there and soon it'll be done. I'll be a PLT Leader and that I could also put BOLC II and III off for up to a year so I can spend that time with you and the baby. Yes, I told him about you and coming baby and my just not having a good time, being tired of it. Well back to CPT Napier. After his initial talk he told me to find him after chow and to think about it. I did and after talking with him again I'm going to press forward. I hope it's all worth it. I'm looking forward to the end and seeing you.
Berta also got spoken to by the same TAC as me. Even had his after dinner talk and was told he could have a call home and then to make the decision. He's determined to leave though and for him, it's the correct decision. More later....
---------------------------------------------------
So that's where we left off and I promise -it's only gotten better in performance respects. It's still hard for him on different days, but he is in much better spirits.
I will share that good news with you all soon!
He's almost down to the "2-weeks-left" mark... March 7th will be a wonderful day :)
1 comment:
I'm so glad to hear that he is doing better even if better pretty much amounts to HORRIBLE where he is. I'm just glad he stayed! Keep up the posts. I can't believe almost only 2 weeks left. WAY TO GO!
Post a Comment