Sunday, February 17, 2008

crisis averted! OCS Update Part I

okay, so i've been delayed in giving Michael's OCS updates because I was almost 100% certain that i lost a page from his first letter. Long story short, I didn't. I had combined two letters that shouldn't have been combined.

So... where did we leave off? Well, let's just start here.

January 24
Lost a few OCS guys because they were only doing Phase I and then returning to a traditional program... "It's been a difficult week and day even. My throat is finally feeling a lot better so I think the antibiotics are kicking in. Still with my sickness & natural tendency towards the negative, I'm having a hard time staying motivated. There are a few OCs already getting ready to go home since they're only doing the 1st phase. They'll continue on with their states' traditional program which lasts 18 months one weekend per year. I wouldn't mind doing that either. It would mean more time with you and Baby B. Anyhow, not sure why i've thought about quitting after this phase, but it's just the little things."

Mike's Career Path if he'd joined the guard sooner
One thing I've probably told you before is that I think my career path would be different in the Army were I starting out younger. I really admire the work ethic of the NCOs and would want to emulate them. But alas, i'm a bit old now and really want to effect as much change as possible in my short time of service. I don't want you to worry about me spending 20 or more years in. When my enlistment is up we'll talk about it and see where we are at and will make a joint decision.

Spotlight Rangers
One thing that has been bothering me here are "Spotlight Rangers!" Those are those Type-A personalities who try to shine the brightest whenever possible in order to show their "leadership" value. It's similar to having too many chiefs in a room and not enough Indians. Like basic it feels much like this here or worse. I am riding low again like basic to the pt. that I've not really singled myself out. This can be a bad thing in leadership schools such as this. But what can I say? I want to be myself and not a spotlight ranger.

Structure of OCS
I think I mentioned to you how cold it was here, right? Well at least we're no longer in the field and won't be again for at least 4 weeks. Instead we freeze in the formation field waiting for jacked up candidates to get the proper accountability of our company that day, then we get instructions for sit ups, pull ups and push ups and then line up standing at parade rest for chow. It all must be done in a very structured manner. I think I'll have fun with Baby Becton teaching him about discipline and attention to detail. I already know he'll be getting evening room inspections before bed! LOL

Finding his niche
I've not really found my niche here at OCS. i can't tell if it's because i'm so tired, sleepy and sick everyday or if it's simply my nature. I can tell you I don't ever want to spend any time in the AL backwoods again. I just realized the whole 4 days in the forest I didn't see any animals. The closest I got was a hollowed out turtle shell... I'm glad you are styaing busy. Sure isn't hard with your job and responsibilities, I know. And 1 more boy to add to that... Back to the niche I was speaking about. I just don't fit in around here. Maybe I'm too much of a loner and rebel and like to not stand out. You know me, sometimes I don't want or try to impress others. Here at OCS it's what everyone does as they think that's what makes a good leader. Maybe it is, or maybe that's what they think because it's what they hear being screamed at them all day by TAC. My plan is to be a good leader by example and service because that's just who I am.

Dwindling Numbers
Just got word that our company is down to 220+ from staring at about 250. Most from failing 1 of the 3 parts of land navigation. Also talked to Watson. He's the former Marin (SFC in the Guard) who dropped from Phase 0 and was talked into coming back. He's probably going to be the best officer because he knows so much and is squared away. I don't blame him for leaving as he has a great job and seniority. He said he wouldn't mind doing the traiditonal route. I would also do that too if the case were the same as him. But hey I need this "job" and money right now. Correction: we need this job!

Well I just found out the 2nd Puerto Rican guy in the PLT - Herrera is being dropped. He didn't pass the re-test in map redding wrriten. He was a great guy. On our 5 mile ruck march in the dark we talked about PR and his home there. He's a good guy and friends with Negroni.*
*(another Puerto Rican guy he made friends with that also dropped from the OCS program)

Phone Call Home
I just talked to you earlier and I was happy to hear the excitement in your voice. It really brought my spirits up. Thanks for holding the fort down honey bunny. You are a super trooper betty booper. When I was getting ready to leave I could hear your sadness and it made me sad. So much so that I almost shed a tear. My eyes welled up but I tried to think of other thoughts. When I return we will have a celebration party, ok? Your voice today is my new motivation simply hearing you say and hearing how happy you are, not to mention proud of me, makes me want to drive onward! That along with the thought of doing 13 weeks of AIT if I don't finish here scares me. So I will do 100% to get through.

Equipment Run-Down:
Let me give a rundown of the equipment we wear anytime we come and go. It consists of our ACU's: ID in the front left breast pocket along with an index card to record the amt of H20 we've been drinking. In our right breast pocket we carry a small notebook and writing utensil. In our right pants cargo pocket is our OCS Study guide. Patrol cap in left cargo pocket. We then wear a gortex jacket and a knit cap with winter gloves. We put on our load bearing vest which contains our always full canteens, ammo pouches, compass and a folding poncho. That and our kevlar helmets mean we are around 20 lbs. At least in OCS we don't have the 25-30 extra pounds of body armor. Here though we still have to rush rush with all this on. We even get smoked.

A Friend & The "Blue Falcon"
One of the guys in our squad is this tall black guy named Smith. He has 14 yrs in the Navy and his wife was active duty as well. They have 2 kids. We chat more often than others in our squad. In the past week it was because we have similar last names and therefore would end up on the same expansive land nav. course. In the course of the afternoon, we'd cross paths, in the hills and compare grid points to make sure we're both on track. Plus he does some really good Dave Chappelle impersonations!

The PLT also has an un-official slogan or call that we holler out. It's like the sound a crow or raven makes, "Ca-caaaw, C-caaaw!" That's the sound of the Blue Falcon. LOL That's a common sound you hear whenever someone is about to Blue Falcon someon or just as a joke whenever the whole platoon or group is together and getting ready to move out. We've even joked about a mascot. We have an old beige t-shirt we have tied onto a broom stick with a falcon drawn on with a marker. That's our guideon.

*note... blue falcon stands for B.F. which stands for Buddy "FailstoAssistYou" - but they just use one F word instead of saying Fails to assist you. I'll let Michael explain when he's home.*

No comments: