Sunday, February 10, 2008

ocs updates..

... so somehow i've lost 1 page from the first letter michael sent me. I have no idea how i did that. Hopefully I will find it and put it in its rightful place among the other sheet protected pages.

Here's the basic rundown of where we've been and where we are with Michael's "Adventures in OCS aka Hell on a stick":

Week ending on Jan 19th (1 week down)
* physically and mentally exhausted
* peppered with cool platoon hollerings and formation stuff, rules, regulations and pushups.

Week ending on January 25 (2 weeks down)
* Officially Finished phase I
* "spent 4 miserable days out in the field doing land nav during day and night. We've finally completed it and are soon to be done with Phase I!!"

* Misses wifey very much & is getting sick "I miss you sooo much, so much I want to come home. But I go on, thinking about the light at the end of the tunnel when you and little baby will pick me up. Needless to say, I along with everyone else is exhausted. Actually have been for the last 3 days but couldn't go to the md clinic unless I wanted to risk missing 3 crucial tests: day and night navigation and written map reading. I passed both so here I am waiting to go to sick call."

* Really wants to come home "The way I feel right now [sick], I'm hoping a little that they say I have to go home now. I just miss you so much, I don't know how I'll do it when I get deployed. Somehow, someway, right?!"

* Prepping for Phase II, in spite of wanting to come home - good job Mikey! "I'm here now though and it's time to soldier on. I have 4 weeks in Phase II. Words is that this phase is very mental, alot of class work & less physical. We have 8 different tests vs 4 in Phase I, we also have 7 and 10 mile ruck marches, 3 mile company formation run and combatives and water survival test. I'm hoping it goes quickly."

* Knee and ankle still doing well! yay! "My knee and ankle are still doing well. No major pains at all and I'm happy. I'd still like to keep it unstressed when I return but if I can get through 8 weeks of OCS I can get through prety much anything."

* TAC changes every two weeks - Actually, the last few days the TAC have been a bit civil. I don't know if it's because we are graduating this phase or the TAC are leaving. you see, every 2 weeks we get new TAC. That's nice to see new faces but it also means we have to be re-initiated in the ways of the new TAC.

* missing wifey - "I hope they give us a phone call so I can hear your loving voice.

* OC Status - Of 243 OCs we started, we now have 223 plus about 40+ that might be dropped if they don't pass their 2nd chance test at land nav (they all failed at least 1 part of the 3 tests)

January 25th - 10:15 a.m. - PHONE CALL FROM MIKEY!!!!
* He sounded like Winnie the Pooh meets Mickey Mouse because he was definitely sick and had a hoarse voice. He was getting by at that time and it was great to hear his voice. Hard to say bye... but I encouraged him to keep his head up, and know how proud I am of him for toughing it out!

He misses the mountains of Utah... and remarks about the differences in terrain there in Alabama versus here. He got a prescription for his throat and decongestant for his sinuses. it gave him a bit of a break from PT so hopefully his body could recuperate appropriately.

He's made plans already for us when he returns. We'll probably make it our honeymoon... or rather our babymoon since we didn't have one after we got married. He's been converted to the idea of going to Hawaii!!!! yay! There was an OC there from Hawaii who told Michael all about his homeland and all of the cool places to go for food and fun.

This works perfectly with my plans because, hey... who DOESN'T want to go to hawaii? i'll get to go see if I can get some dance time at the Polynesian Cultural Center in between my baby-beach body (scary thought!) and introducing Mr. Becton to the reasons why mommy loves the beach! Namely being able to put your toes in the sand and make sand castles. I'll have to fight the urge to bury him in the sand, although I DO think it would be quite hilarious.

More updates tomorrow!

1 comment:

Marge said...

LaShawn, I sent Mike another letter (I sent him one with the old address also). will you just let me know if he mentions anything about it. I just want to make sure he is getting my stuff. THANKS!