Friday, October 3, 2008

Where has the year flown?




It seems like I blinked my eyes, went through a time warp of stress and next thing I know it's October. What the crap happened to the time? It was this time last year I had just lost my job for no apparent reason after working my butt off tirelessly for one of Larry Miller's companies. What a waste Larry Miller and his way of business, but anyways...it all turned out for the better. So last year about this time I was grateful I was married to a wonderful woman who is motivated and dedicated to excelling in whatever she does. Ok so that's a pretty way of saying she has and kept a job, otherwise we'd have been in trouble. 2 months before losing my job we just found out we were pregnant, so losing my job was a bit of a blow. But somehow things worked out and not having a job afforded me an opportunity to recover from that job and plan for attending Officer Candidate School for the 2nd time in January 2008.




Yes earlier in 2007 I left for a hellish experience called Army OCS in S. Dakota. It's difficult to describe the experiences of mind, body and spirit I had while there. But let's just say they were bad enough for me to not want to think about them. The physical rigors proved too much for me and a knee which was previously related to a severe ankle injury from earlier that spring. Thus there was no way for me to stay in OCS and I had to return home. The next available class being January 2008. and thus once October came I felt the impending doom of OCS all over again. There was light at the end of the tunnel in that I'd be attending this school in Alabama instead of S. Dakota. So instead of hot, muggy heat of S. Dakota I'd get frigidly humid cold of Alabama. Let me tell you, if you never been in the far south during winter time consider yourself lucky. At least in the west when it's cold and snowy we have proper clothing and no humidity. Humidity kills when it's already cold outside!




Ok so back to my October storyline; a year ago today I was brooding and trying to rest before I left to OCS the second time. A few blinks of my eye and October had turned into December, Christmas and then I was on a plane leaving for OCS. I fell asleep, woke up in hell, realized it was just OCS and by some miracle I made it home to the Utah spring. A few months of drill, a new job, police academy and it's October all over again. This is some sick joke. I say that because come February I leave again for 21 weeks of more Army training. This time back to the south in Georgia and then to Missourri. This time however I'm now a commissioned officer and have a bit more leeway with how things go. Meaning I have under my belt 2 experiences of winters in the south. I made sure that I would no be going during the frigid January month and would finish before hot humid summer caught me down there. Febuary through early part of June is my time line. I'll be completing more officer courses but this time it's not a 24/7 OCS thing where you're treated like crap. I'll have most evenings and weekends off like a normal duty station or job. I'm going to miss my wife and baby so much. I made her promise to visit me once a month. And I'll try my best to update with pics and such in this blog.

No comments: