December 23, 2007 was a dual celebration day, with one celebration outweighing the other. Sunday, the 23rd marked our one-year anniversary! It's amazing to me that a year has flown by already. As we sat down and put together a 1-year anniversary frame of various pictures, it was really neat to see the different things we experienced together in our first year.
Michael graduated from basic training, my biological father's side of the family gave us a wedding celebration dinner in February (a pretty big deal considering the history I had with my bio. father) we bought our 11 acres of land to build a dream house on, eventually in May, Michael left for OCS & returned in June... found out we were pregnant in July right after buying my cute 4 door sedan with sunroof & tinted windows... we had our first Fall, Halloween and Thanksgiving together and now it's Christmas time.
It doesn't seem like it's been a year at all, but it has been. I had a number of cutesy crafty kinds of things that I wanted to do for our anniversary, but time didn't permit me to finish any of them, unfortunately. They will have to be works in progress over the next months when Michael is gone. They'll be nice welcome home gifts in March before the baby gets here.
I guess we lose the title of newlyweds now that it's been a year. I still think we're pretty "new" at this "being wed" thing, so I'll still consider us newly weds for a while.
We received a complimentary night stay at the Grand America - http://www.grandamerica.com/ from his job a year ago and with it expiring at the end of December, it'd been on my mind as to when we were going to use it. When we left home yesterday to go see the lights on Temple Square, I asked Michael when we were going to go to the Grand... and he said probably around New Year's, but that we'd "get to it." I'm thinking in my head that we won't have time between visiting family and then being visited by family over the next week, but we'll see. Michael wondered if they'd let us cash it out. I doubted it.
So as we're driving around he asks if I want to get dinner somewhere and I said I would, but i could wait about an hour. He said that was fine and that we'd go after we checked in. I said "check in where?" and he responds "at the Grand America!!"
Schultzee is at it again. Score one for a cute anniversary surprise.
It made sense then why he pushed me out of the house to go deliver Christmas treats for about 20 minutes while he stayed home to "finish up some emails" because as I'm fussing that I didn't have any clothes with me to stay the night and I surely had no hair stuff... he goes to the back of the trunk and what's there? My "hair stuff" bag with clothes that he picked out for me!
Very cute.
So he gets us checked into the hotel and they sent us to the 19th floor. I pointed out to Michael in the elevator that there was no 13th floor to go on. It jumped from 12 to 14 as we headed up to room 1985. It's ironic and silly at the same time that there's no floor named the 13th floor... but the "14th" floor is really the 13th floor if you think about it. but humans, weird as we are, feel much better about sleeping on the 14th floor than the 13th floor that it really is.
Anyway, up to room 1985 for the evening where we looked out at the City, talked about what it was like to be married for a year... if it was all that we thought it was, etc... and watched Dodgeball :)
The room was beautiful and the bed was comfy with great pillows. We took some baby belly pics and stayed up at night to rub my belly and feel Becton move around. It was very sweet.
Sunday was also our 100 day marker for our pregnancy. We have 99 days left starting today. I can't believe it. We went to a neighbor's house today whose baby came 2.5 weeks early and we helped her get organized in her nursery. It was simply awe-some to see how a little life that had been in her belly was now on the outside sleeping, squirming, smiling and grunting all in the course of an hour. And he was so tiny!!!! not in a bad way, but just in the way that babies are tiny. He weighs about 5 pounds... and his little head is the biggest part of his body. He's too small for preemie clothes but they fit him just fine for the little snugglebear that he is. Again, a very humbling moment for me because in about 3 months I'll be on the other side of this motherhood thing!
I'm almost sure that I'm ready. After a pretty candid talk with my Aunt Sherry about the actual logistics of birth (since I'm figuring out that contractions = one type of pain & actual birthing = another type of pain) I am a lot more comfortable with the idea of going into labor. I mean, it's not like there's really any alternative for me. The baby will come one way or another and I'm really just a player on the sidelines trying to help the process along!
I'd be lying to say that being in the double digits of pregnancy days as opposed to the comfy triple digits isn't a bit daunting though. The planning for baby and the reality of baby being here are two very distinct events! I'm glad I've got a baby journal to write all of this stuff in.
Well, it's time to go watch The Grinch and keep establishing a Schultz Christmas Tradition. Merry Christmas to everyone!!
No comments:
Post a Comment