Friday, December 21, 2007

Update - BabyLife

Family & Friends... I just have to share my excitement with you on two things: BabyLife and Professional/Business Life. FIRST...

BabyLife
A potential job that i will be applying for is as a Full-time Faculty member for a local University in their Social Work department. I had an "informal" meet and greet with the Director yesterday and walked out of it basically skipping and thanking God for the opportunity.

With the baby on the way, I've worried alot about how/if to work and support the family while Michael is in military training (he has two more phases to complete in 2008 after the baby gets here) as well as when he deploys - very likely for 2009. Thankfully he'll only have 3 years left of being active in 2009, at least one of them being a tour of duty, and then two more "on-call" years which will probably still be active based on the politics of the war.

So, this position would be PERFECT for our family because I would be teaching classes 3 nights a week and able to do my prep work during the day the rest of the week. It's a 40 hour, full-time position where I work independently and report to a regional director as needed. I can be with the baby all day!!! When Michael is home he can be with the baby at night while I work. While he is gone, I am sure I can call on mom and the girls to come visit once a week to watch the little one. =)

The position will open soon and close in January (has to be posted for 30 days). Interviews will be in February with offers in March. There are two positions - a 12 month and 9-month position. I will be applying for both. The reason why this is so good is because March is when I am taking maternity leave from my current full-time job. At the earliest, one of the positions would start in June (which is when my maternity leave would end) and the other in August. This allows me to smoothly transition out of my current job with my students and into this new one, hopefully!

Oh, and let me add just one more reason why this is also very amazing. This new position is MUCH closer to our house!!! Currently I commute 70 miles a day to work, 5 days a week. With gas prices as they are, plus driving our V6 sedan or V8 truck - it's ridiculous!! I've been looking for a way to simplify my life with the baby coming, and I am glad to see that the Lord, as always, provides! I feel so blessed!!! So I'm going to do my part to remain a highly qualified candidate for both of these positions and I will keep you posted. If you'll send positive thoughts towards me and Michael out here in Utah, that would help also!!

No comments: