Tuesday, March 11, 2008

so.... what else am i missing?

let me just say.... last night, we went to Costco and bought baby diapers and wipies. We purchased 500+ diapers and 832 wipies. Who needs that many wipies? Apparently people who shop at Costco, and this IS Utah, lest I forget the rate of family growth out here.

So, that was just the start of me being surprised by the things that baby life assumes that you are ready for. We have the baby's part of the hospital bag packed. 3 baby gowns with somewhat matching baby hats. 3 pairs of baby socks. I would say 3 diapers... but I am thinking 10 is more like it... according to the whole "babies poopie all the time" theory i hear from other mommies. So yes... 10 diapers. I don't know what else to bring, besides his little "this is my footprint" clay thing. Should I bring lotion? Who's going to bathe him? Does he get to snuggle with me in the hospital bed? is that co-sleeping? hmmm.

None of my stuff is packed for the hospital visit. I told Michael of about 2 books that I want in my bag, in case I get bored or get an epidural. We'll be bringing my hypnobirthing cds with rainbow relaxation and birthing affirmations so that I can appropriately focus. Probably should bring some clothes, but most of my preggy clothes are work clothes. I would like some yoga pants and nice casual tops... probably should get nursing tops.

Just one more thing to add to the list.

Speaking of things to add to the list, here is the one thing that inspired this entire blog.... i just found out, with NO previous knowledge whatsoever, that I HAVE TO GET A SOCIAL SECURITY CARD FOR THE BABY!!!!!!!! how come that's not on any of the "what to pack when you go to the hospital" list?????? This baby is due BEFORE April 15th!!!!! it will need a social security card, won't it? don't we have to claim it or something?

See... this is why women like me probably shouldn't get pregnant. We really try, entirely too hard, to plan and prepare and CONTROL what the outcome of our pregnancies will be. Mind you, I am pretty laid back about the whole thing. It's been so mild and comfy that I'm in no real rush to not be preggy if it weren't for the fact that having my little one outside of my belly is amazing until I start thinking about this whole "lifetime of responsibility" stuff. Babies are like tattoos to me. I never got a tattoo because I can't commit that long. I need variability. Babies will definitely provide variability... but there's no "awwh cute, let's babysit you for a few hours and then give you back to your mom" option. I am the "mom" !!!!!

I joke around about my girlfriend's babygirl being little man's girlfriend, and already I'm anxious about him having REAL girlfriends!!!!!! He's not even born yet! i'm already worried! what to do!

And then you look at Michael who's just all relaxed and ready for whatever. I don't know if that's just part of his nature as a man, or if it's just because he's not the pregnant one who feels in some way overwhelmed for the state of mind and welfare of the child in the tummy.

It's so funny to me how differently Michael and I approach life. I'm sitting around ready to write stuff down, draw maps and contingency plans, make checklists about what to do when the baby gets here, when are we going to have family visits, how are we going to visit other family members, what will our work schedules look like, who will get up for which feedings at night, when to pump breast milk, do daddies feed tummy to tummy like mommies do, do we really need a changing table, should we buy baby einstein videos NOW or once the baby actually has cognitive abilities, all of that stuff.....

Mike? pssshhht. Mike's wondering about what's for dinner (Mike: we're having quesadillas? well why did you call me down here? they aren't even ready yet. LaShawn (in her head): so that we could make them together, it's just a few minutes to melt the cheese and play with our new griddle, but okay mr. picky), MAYBE what's for dessert later that evening, and is the cable going to get turned on this week, if so and either way, is there room to make a trip to Reno to look at a motorcycle as an OCS graduation present... what? what's wrong with a road trip... it's not like you're going to go into labor, and besides, there's hospitals all the way down to Reno and back, we'll be fine!

I wonder wonder wonder who our little boy will be most like when we have conversations like this.

So yeah... any recommendations on what else nobody ever tells you about when you're having a baby, like SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS?!?!?!

that is all.

2 comments:

Marge said...

You crack me up. I am assuming that you'll be having the baby at a hospital. At the hospital they won't let you leave without naming the baby and filling out the proper paper work for a birth certificate and a social security card. (if you really don't have a name they will let you leave but then you physically have to go to the social security office so it is a lot harder). keep asking away and I'll keep trying to answer. How were the quesadillas?

Angie said...

You don't get to claim the baby on this year's taxes--the cut off was 2007. And yes, the hospital usually has the paperwork available. You will probably get offers from companies to get you a card for a certain fee. You don't need their help. (There is a nominal fee for the birth certificate, but you pay it directly to the state).
I found that I used regular button up shirts or shirts that could be pulled up comfortably more than actual nursing tops. At any rate, you don't have to have a whole new nursing wardrobe (I would go for nursing bras, though).
Make sure you don't forget the car seat--they won't let you go home without it. A couple of receiving blankets would also be good. I have always had the hospital provide a small pack of diapers and bathing supplies, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Oh, and new babies often have long nails, so little gloves or nail clippers so he doesn't scratch himself.
For you and Mike, think in terms of comfort. The hospital will probably provide snacks for you but not for him, so you might want to bring something he would like. A change of shirt and toothbrush could be good if he ends up there all night with you. Is he planning to get in the jacuzzi with you? A swimsuit would be good. For you, Lotion, chapstick, warm socks, bathrobe, etc. Your phone list would be helpful.
Oh, and the camera.