
Yep I'm proud to say to say that we have a new addition to our family. No not our human family you silly goose, the motorcycle family. You see I often do a multiple daily search on a classified ad bulletin board here in Utah, searching of course for some great deals. And by gosh I think I found one. It's a 1984 Yamaha GT80. LaShawn was surprised to find the "present" I told her I got for Becton sitting in the kitchen under a blanket surrounded by candles upon her return home. SUPRISE honey!!
When I saw it I knew it looked rough but it's winter and in the winter I need an indoor project to keep me busy. Thus, I'll spend the new months tearing this thing down, cleaning and repairing to get it as good as new!
Ok so I already have more than one motorcycle. But...I do not have a bike that is under 125cc in size, and this fits the bill. Think of all the possibilities; cousins, friends and little ones can now learn to ride a motorcycle without fear. And the greatest for me is that I have what I hope will be little boy Becton's first motorcycle! I told LaShawn already I want this bike to be in our family for a few generations, as a sort of heirloom. True most families have china or furniture. But I'm a little different. This will be a piece of history.
So today I spent about 6 hours completing gutting and stripping this thing down to it's bare necessities. This included inspecting, cleaning, sanding, washing, hammering and doing everything I could to get the bike down to a skeleton frame. You see, motorcycles and all vehicles for that matter are like big 3-D puzzles. Now I'm no expert level 3-d puzzler but I know enough to strip it to it's bare essentials (minus taking the engine into miniature pieces) and be able to put it back together. Now to be considered and expert puzzler you should be able to take apart a complicated thing like an engine into hundreds of pieces and put it back together with your eyes closed. I can't necessarily do that. I'll leave that to experts like my dad.
I'll post pics once I get it all painted and put back together. I want to have it done in time for Christmas when I can show it to my dad and have my siblings ride it around my dad's yard. Little bikes can be so much fun.
When I saw it I knew it looked rough but it's winter and in the winter I need an indoor project to keep me busy. Thus, I'll spend the new months tearing this thing down, cleaning and repairing to get it as good as new!
Ok so I already have more than one motorcycle. But...I do not have a bike that is under 125cc in size, and this fits the bill. Think of all the possibilities; cousins, friends and little ones can now learn to ride a motorcycle without fear. And the greatest for me is that I have what I hope will be little boy Becton's first motorcycle! I told LaShawn already I want this bike to be in our family for a few generations, as a sort of heirloom. True most families have china or furniture. But I'm a little different. This will be a piece of history.
So today I spent about 6 hours completing gutting and stripping this thing down to it's bare necessities. This included inspecting, cleaning, sanding, washing, hammering and doing everything I could to get the bike down to a skeleton frame. You see, motorcycles and all vehicles for that matter are like big 3-D puzzles. Now I'm no expert level 3-d puzzler but I know enough to strip it to it's bare essentials (minus taking the engine into miniature pieces) and be able to put it back together. Now to be considered and expert puzzler you should be able to take apart a complicated thing like an engine into hundreds of pieces and put it back together with your eyes closed. I can't necessarily do that. I'll leave that to experts like my dad.
I'll post pics once I get it all painted and put back together. I want to have it done in time for Christmas when I can show it to my dad and have my siblings ride it around my dad's yard. Little bikes can be so much fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment