Wednesday, November 7, 2007

One Last Time


One Last Time
According to the submitter: "The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. 'I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it,' she said. 'I think that's what he would have wanted.'"

1 comment:

Tyson Gerber said...

I am not one of great grammar or speech. But I do like to express my opinions when I feel others could learn more.

I had the opportunity to sit down with a family where the husband recently returned from Afghanistan. He told us of the difficulties of a solider when away from his family. But not only that, but seeing some of his fellow comrade’s die in combat.

The wife told us about the transition of her husband coming home after 2 years. How the change affects the kids. The kids are used to having "Mom" as the protector and decision maker. Now need to switch and ask dad.

A son not having his father to see him make a touchdown. A father not able to come home to a warm house and a loving family. Experiences which they are thrown back into trying to get things back the way they used to be.

The family while the husband is away in financial stress and the wife having to work. And the father not able to sleep for months because of images of war left in his head.

I have so much respect for our soldiers and their families which are left behind and those who have also lost a loved one.

There is always more to the story which we do not see. Like the sacrifices that are made on both sides.

I agree that we should all give thanks to those in uniform who sacrifice their lives everyday. Because we have no clue what that uniform has been through and what it will go through.