Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving in New Mexico

So we've been in New Mexico for the past 4 days, just about - hanging out with Michael's side of the family. His mom and sister live in New Mexico, his brother is in Arizona. I flew down on Wednesday, and we'll be leaving today back to Utah. We always come down with less stuff than we leave with, what with Michael and his mom hunting for hand-me-downs for me (from his sister), him (from his brother) and the baby (from 7 years ago till as far back as when Michael was a baby) - so the truck is full of stuff that i have no idea where to put it once we get back to the house.

so goes life.

i reconnected with two of my close girlfriends, Mandy and Tracie, from 15 years ago on MySpace - the thing does have its benefits. They both seem to be doing very well.... Tracie's in the Navy, serving in Iraq and has a blog - so I added her to our page. I'll be checking in with her as often as I can. Mandy just barely got on MySpace, so i'm waiting for her to get some pics up of her little girl who's 10 now (good grief, where does the time go!). It will be nice to stay in touch with them.

Let's see, what else. Little Man Schultz moves around a lot in the mornings and also when I'm getting ready for bed. Like right now, he's been moving around for the past hour. Getting situated I guess. We all over slept for church - so there will be no official worship today. Maybe some reading and scripture study on the ride back.

My niece, Taylee, has the cutest little dog ever. his name is Cody and he's a shih-tzu (if that's how you spell it). He is absolutely precious and my cats would bully him around bc he's so little... he's been my cuddle buddy since we've been here.

Oh - we had a WONDERFUL thanksgiving dinner. Michael's mom works wonders in the kitchen, and she makes it look easy. I told her how similar she and my mother are in how they run their households. Namely, they won't eat until everyone else has eaten (and usually that means that they're serving them instead of eating) and then you have to coerce them to come and sit at the table, when they'd rather be over near the food "just in case" anybody needs anything. i learned that there were no 'traditional' mexican dishes for thanksgiving, it's mainly an american holiday. I knew that, but i still figured I should ask. Always on my quest to be more culturally aware.

I can write on and on about the food. I felt very much at home, although I missed being with my family and eating and making jokes around the table. Some things and some people just can't be replaced. I hope we'll be able to visit for Christmas so that the rest of my mom's family can meet Michael.

that's all for now, i'm sure Michael will post his adventures that he's had down here with his brother and their motorcycles later. Until next time....

No comments: